if you have someone in your life who genuinely cares about how your day went, and listens fully to the fucked up shit that goes on in your mind, and answers your texts or calls you back, and lets you know you’re important to them and/or generally makes you feel cared for, you’re really fucking lucky and i hope you tell this person you appreciate them and i hope if they treat you right and make you feel safe and loved, you hold onto them really tight.
Marilyn Monroe in 1953 © John Vachon.
i had a male friend once accuse me of reading comics so boys would like me and i just
with the amount of money i have dropped on comic books i could have BOUGHT ten boys
Passive aggressive patronizing bullshit you don’t say to a sex worker
- I admire what you do! I would never do it, but, I admire you!
- Wow, I wish my family would let me do what you do, such easy money!
- I wish I could do what you do, but like, I care about my reputation, but you’re awesome!
- I’ve thought about doing what you’re doing but my boyfriend wouldn’t marry, you know, a girl like you.
- Wow, you’re so talented and funny, I thought all sex workers were like crack whores or something, but you’re like, really neat.
And even if someone is a full service sex worker with a drug addiction, that doesn’t rob them of their humanity, if anything they need more real empathy and more protection of their dignity since so many fucking assholes want to rob them of it. These back handed compliments are bullshit and don’t help anyone.
- If only I was prettier/skinnier/had a different body I would do what you do
- Wow you are way smarter than I thought you’d be
- You’re so well-spoken
Long Beach, CA © Maynard L. Parker
making them suffer is an art